Monday, October 14, 2013

Three!

Llamas don’t like to be alone, so having only two Boys was now a problem for me – I couldn’t work with one because that would mean the other one would be left by himself. I had to find another llama to replace Harry.

You know how it is when you are not looking for something and they are all over the place, but as soon as you are looking, they are nowhere to be found? And the opposite it true too. You can’t find something no matter how hard you look and as soon as finally do, they are all over the place. Yeah. Welcome to my world.

So my search for another young, affordable male was quite a struggle. It seemed like everyone had females for sale or really expensive Show llamas, but not what I was looking for.

After weeks of searching, I finally found someone in Ohio who seemed to have a llama that was close to what I was looking for… he was quite a bit younger than what I would have really liked, but that was OK. The funny thing is that he looked a bit like Harry, too…

Again, another long story short – in March, I came home with three llamas.

They were all very young and had never been handled or haltered until the day I picked them up. That made me a little apprehensive, but I figured I would give it a shot.

The one thing that I thought was weird is that none of them had any names. Indiana and Dalai had ‘official’ names when I got them (which I changed anyway), but the new guys didn’t have names at all. That just seems so sad.

Meet the newest Boys:

This is Merllin (yes, spelled with two L’s, because he’s a llama) – He turned one in May. So far he is just the sweetest guy you can imagine. When he grows up, I think he is going to be a phenomenal packer.

Merllin 

This is Olliver (yes, spelled with two L’s, because he’s a llama) – He also turned one in May. He is a Surri llama. His wool is so silky compared to the other regular-wooled Boys. His name is a tribute to one of my most favorite Top Gear episodes.  Merllin and Olliver are half-brothers – they have the same Dad, but different mothers.

Olliver 

This is Allbus (yes, spelled with two L’s, because he’s a llama) – he is my nod the Harry Potter series (as in Albus Dumbledore). He is also a Surri llama and he turned two in September.

Allbus

 

Since I got my new boys, at least four llamas right in my area have become available that would have been perfect replacements for Harry. Go figure.

No comments: