Saturday, June 20, 2009

Not Complaining

I've noticed that I've been kind of whiny in my last few postings, so I am not going to complain in this entry.

I am not going to mention that I've spent over $800 on my truck and it still hasn't passed inspection. I am not going to ask why my phone books are always delivered on rainy days. And I'm not going to grumble over the fact that it's supposed to rain all day Saturday and I have so many things outside that I need/want to do.

Instead, I'm going to talk about other stuff. Happier stuff.

I took a half day off from work Friday, which is very unlike me - but so needed. It was great to get home and have time to make a bunch of phone calls I've been needing to make. It was nice to call while the businesses were still open and be able to call in the privacy of my own house. It was also great to be able to take care of business visits I haven't been able to do that really needed to be done. It was such a great feeling to come home and have a ton of time to work on projects. I got a lot of stuff done and it feels great. I should take half days more often - they are good for the soul :)

Tops had baby potatoes on sale this week, so I bought a bag. I wanted to try and make baby salt potatoes. I *love* baby salt potatoes, but never tried making them. It was easier than I thought it would be - the 'recipe' I found said to boil the potatoes in water and a pound of salt. A pound of salt is a*lot* of salt in my opinion, so I only used about a cup. It was kind of interesting how the salt got all over the stove as the potatoes boiled - there was a salt powder all over. I have to report that a cup of salt is also too much - they turned out *really* salty. I saved some for tomorrow, so I'll see if some of the saltiness goes away after a day.

Today I used an orbital sander for the first time. That thing got five out of five stars. I've always used a sheet palm sander, which was OK. I learned today that orbital sanders are a million times better. The orbital sander was a lot faster, did a nicer job and the one I have sucks up all the dust into a little compartment, so the mess is very minimal. Yay for orbital sanders!

I ran into the son of a friend of mine - wow has Josh grown up! It's amazing what a difference two years make.

Sunday is going to be my first Father's Day without my Dad. We are going to be passing the Father's Day torch to my brother-in-law as he is now the dad in the family. We are going to have a cookout and celebrate him being a dad of *two* this year. And I know my Dad will be there in spirit :)

No comments: