Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Smut

For anyone who may have noticed my absence – I’m back 

There have been…. issues plaguing me as of late.  By the end of the day I’ve been just too tired for computers and blogging.  I have a LOT of catching up to do!

The one good thing I do want to mention was the fact that I went to a good friend’s wedding a couple of weeks ago.  The wedding was held at the Meridian International Center – if any of you watch Top Chef, you’ll recognize the place from a few of episodes ago – how cool is that?  laughing  The place was beautiful and the whole day was perfect for everyone – I wish I could have stayed in DC a bit longer…

So, not dwelling on any of the crap I’ve been dealing with, let’s talk about smut.

I’ve never had much luck growing corn in my garden.  I usually get a few good ears and the rest are small or some kind of wormy thing gets into them, making them un-eatable.  It usually doesn’t bother me tho’, because I still have the stalks for fall-time decorations, so it’s all good.

But this year I came across something new…

Corn Smut  

 Corn Smut

I’ve been pulling the infected ears off the stalks and burning them.

Evidently it’s called Corn Smut.  When I looked it up to find out more about it and how to get rid of it, I found out that it’s actually a delicacy for some people!  blink

If you want to get the low-down on this morsel, check out this edition of Steve, Don’t Eat It!  from The Sneeze.  Just make sure that you have a barf-bag nearby before you start reading.

So maybe I should try to sell this stuff instead of chucking it in the fire pit?

No comments: