Thursday, June 26, 2008

Chives

I have to believe that chives are one of the most obnoxious plants in the plant kingdom. Round-Up doesn't kill 'em. They are a pain in the you-know-what to dig out. And if you do manage to dig deep enough to get to the bulb, it inevitably had babies. Millions of babies. So many baby bulbs that it is virtually impossible to pick out each and every one, which ensures that no one can ever totally get rid of the damn things.

The people who owned my house before me must have liked chives and planted them somewhere. Over the years they spread and are just about everywhere. Fortunately, in the lawn they are only noticeable in the early spring. Then they stick up like alien antennas all over. When I cut the grass the first time of the year, I end up smelling like onions until I shower. I don't like onions.

It's keeping them out of the garden and flower beds that is going to be the bane of my existence.

Ugh.

No comments: