Sunday, December 19, 2010

Much

There has much been going on around here the past few weeks – I wish I could say it’s all good, but it seems for every one thing that goes right, two go wrong.  Oh well, what can you do?

I’m not even close to being ready for Christmas, but I think I should be set by Friday if everything goes smoothly for me this week… I hope.

Instead of trying to put everything into one post, I’m going to break it up into pieces.  So to start…

…as I alluded on Wednesday – I have acquired a few more chickens.  Five more to be exact.  I now have a Black Star, three Rhode Island Reds and a Polish chicken added to the clan.

I’ve never had to integrate chicken ‘families’ before and I have to say, it is an interesting process.  My biggest worry was that there would be an all-out war between them.  As it turns out, they pretty much don’t want anything to do with each other.  It’s been over a week now since they’ve arrived and a couple are beginning to mingle – but only a little bit.

The Newcomers are definitely a bunch of wimps when it comes to the snow.  My gals are practically trying to break down the door to get out when they see me – despite their hesitancy when the snow first came, they have no problem now going out in it to explore.  But even before they discovered the joys of snow, they would still play out in their pen - the new Ladies don’t even want to leave the coop.  I guess they didn’t at their old place, either.  I’m starting to see a couple of them venture out now and again, but for the most part, they like to stay inside.  Wimps.

The one I really feel bad for is the Polish chicken.  Her name is Polska.  She had a friend named Polski, but she was killed by a fox    Anyway, she gets soooo picked on by her old coop-mates.  She arrived missing a lot of feathers and doesn’t look very pretty from the backside.  She is very skittish around the other hens – and understandably so.  I’m hoping in her new environment and with some potentially new allies, she will be able to recover from her injuries and calm down a bit.  I can’t do much while I’m at work, but I’ve been trying to monitor the situation as much as I can while I’m at home…

 Wimpy Chickens!

 Poor Polska

 Not a bad looking lady!

Rhode Island Red and Black Star

 My Ladies hangin out

 Look out, here comes Pumpkin!

No comments: