Monday, June 13, 2011

Update…

I have been so bad about posting, but in my defense, there hasn’t been a whole lot to write about.  If you’re reading this at 2 o’clock in the morning because you can’t fall asleep, this just might be your ticket to some rest…

 

  • My back is back to normal – well, as normal as it can be for me.  And for that, I am very grateful.

 

  • My garden isn’t any near being done.  All I have in is lettuce (which is doing well!), some tomatoes and peppers.  I do have corn seed and cabbage seed in the ground, but they haven’t come up yet.  My peas never came up.  I still have a lot of stuff I want to get into the ground yet…

 

  • Mrs. Robin #1 had already raised three babies, but it looks like she hatched some more.  I can only see one beak (if you click on the picture, you should get a bigger version), but I’m guessing there are probably more in the nest…

Mrs. Robin #1's nest

 

  • I now have a Mrs. Robin #2, who built a nest in my back hallway.  She flies away every time I go in or out of the house, but she’s sticking to her guns and staying with her nest.  If the eggs hatch, I should be able to get a really good view of the babies…

Mrs. Robin #2's nest

 

  • All my chickens lay brown eggs, except for my Polish chicken, who gives me white eggs.  She is a very reliable layer – I can count on an egg a day from her.  Which is why I was wondering why they stopped all of a sudden.  Until I found the nest she had made out back…

Real nest eggs  :P

 

 

  • The Polish chicken is pretty skittish – for which I don’t blame her, because she gets picked on a lot.  But it makes it really hard to get a decent picture of her…

Polska my Polish chicken

 

  • …and then I have another Lady who doesn’t think the nesting boxes are good enough for her either.  She’s been laying her eggs every day on top of the old brooder I have put away… I really don’t understand how she thinks this is better.

New nest

   

  • My car broke down this past week.  It cost me a week-and-a-half’s pay to get it fixed 

 

  • Our town farmers’ market opened two weeks ago.  It’s been a lot of work the past few months and it’s not showing any signs of stopping.  We are hoping for a great season this year, even with the bad growing weather we’ve had this spring.

 

  • I’ve really had the itching for a road trip.  I don’t know where, but I would love to go away somewhere for a few days.   Unfortunately, I just don’t see that happening for a long time…

 

….Ummm.  Yeah.  I think that’s about it, besides working a lot.  If you made this far without falling asleep, congratulations!

No comments: