Friday, August 21, 2009

Glow

So last night another big rain storm blew through the area. The sky reminded me of one of the Poltergeist movies - it seemed like it was constantly lit until the storm passed. My house lights flickered within minutes of the rainfall and then I totally lost power. It was the first time I've lost power since the October Storm.

I'm happy to say that I was pretty well prepared, relatively speaking. No big house generators or anything like that for me, but for the hours I was without power, I was pretty comfortable. I knew exactly where my flashlights, batteries and candles were, along with my radio and of course my glow sticks!

After the October Storm, I came across a good deal on glow sticks and stocked up on a ton of them. Last night was the first time I had the chance to use them for real - not just for play. My house was aglow with yellow and green, and I was able to almost finish the book I'm reading.

For the record, the yellow glow sticks are definitely brighter, but it seems like the green ones last longer. So I have to remember that yellow is for reading and 'doing' things and green is for general don't-trip-over-anything lighting. Of course, I could always have used my flashlight or my Coleman lantern, but hey - glow sticks are way more fun :)

I heard that during the October storm, people in office buildings were using glow sticks to make arrows on the ground pointing to bathrooms and exits. I thought that was really innovative.

I have no idea what time the power came back on - I left a light on so I would know, but I was asleep. I remember getting up to turn off the light, but I never looked at the clock.

Fortunately, there didn't appear to be any damage in the yard... the way the wind was whipping through, I thought for sure that there would be a ton of branches all over the place. There was a small inflatable pool in one on my side ditches tho'. And the chickens seemed to have weathered the storm just fine.

I'm so sick of rain. Hopefully that's the last of it for a while!

No comments: