Friday, August 7, 2009

Wild Things

I used to have a bat problem. I thought I had it taken care of, but they came back. They were back in my eaves :(

A face only a mother could love


This week I put bird netting around the eaves of my house. This allows the bats to fly out at night, but because they aren't as good flyers as birds, they can't navigate the netting to get back in. It seems to have worked, as I haven't seen any bats coming out of the eaves since the netting went up.

A bat heading out for the night - notice the full moon :)


This weekend, the project for me and my posse is to seal up the eaves so I can take down the netting and the bats (or starlings!) won't be able to get back in.

---

The Stupid-Garden-Eating rabbits in my yard are getting bolder and bolder. As much as I try to scare them so they will stay away, they just don't scare.



This is what my corn looks like, thanks to them:



Every morning and every day when I get home from work, at least two of the three Stupid-Garden-Eating rabbits are hanging out by the chicken coop. For some reason, they seem to like the chickens.



Yesterday I had let The Ladies out for a little while and one of the Stupid-Garden-Eating rabbits hopped on over to the chickens. It was funny, because the chickens went over to see the Stupid-Garden-Eating rabbit - they've only seen the Stupid-Garden-Eating rabbits through their fence. It must have been too overwhelming for him, because when Stupid-Garden-Eating rabbit saw six chickens coming towards him, he took off like a shot. Maybe when The Ladies start free-ranging, they will protect my garden too :)

The exciting thing today tho', was when I got home from work and went to check on The Ladies, there was a Mama Turkey and little baby turkeys by the coop! I have never seen wild baby turkeys before - it was so cool. Mama Turkey took off pretty quickly when she saw me, but I think she must have had five or six babies with her. I would think that it was too late in the season for any kind of wild babies, but I guess not.

I see wild turkeys all the time in the farmers fields around here, but I rarely ever see any in my yard. Much less a mama with chicks. I really hope they come back!


The Ladies love to go out exploring!

No comments: