Thursday, May 21, 2009

They're Here!

The chicks are here! The chicks are here!

I picked them up on Monday and they are sooo cute :)



I am so frustrated/mad/not happy tho', because I wanted to do webcam so that I could share my chicks with friends and anyone who was interested. My camera works, but I can't broadcast. I tried two different webcam sites and and for some reason I couldn't broadcast at either one. I think Time Warner/Roadrunner is to blame, but they say it's not them. I really wanted to be able to do this :( Anyone out there have Roadrunner and broadcast a webcam? Anyone with any ideas? I'd really appreciate it! (and for the record, I've tried broadcasting with my firewall shut off and it didn't make any difference)



Sooo.... I'll just have to share pictures until I figure it out.

When I got my chicks they were combined with orders from a few different people. I was worried as to how I would be able to figure out which chicks were mine. The hatchery made it really easy for us. My chickens were green :)


I'm curious to see how long it will take for the markings to wear off or grow out :)

All the chicks were very noisy when I picked them up from the post office. Once they got some water in them and warmed up under the heat lamp they quieted right down.


So far, all my girls seem to be getting along really great. It's really interesting to see the different personalities of the different breeds. The Cochins remind me of Scooby Doo - kind of goofy and bumbly but really good natured. The New Hampshire Reds are definitely the obsessed ones - especially when it comes to food. They were the first ones to scratch and it is hysterical to watch them try and scratch their food from the little holes in their feeder. They are the messy ones :) The Red Stars make me think of a laid back, lazy summer day. They like to nap a lot.



One of my Red Star's has a problem with pasting up, but she is looking a lot better every day. You can tell when she's not feeling so good. I think the other chicks can too. Miss Poopy Butt will be sitting there by herself with her eyes closed and one of the Cochins will come over and sit with her - it looks like she's trying to comfort her. I know that's probably not the case, but that's what it looks like and it's so cute. I can tell that Miss Poopy Butt is feeling better every day because she is getting more and more active. And I think she already expects her cleanings every time she sees me :)

I'll have to get some more pictures up on Flickr, but until then....



1 comment:

Becky said...

"My chickens were green :)"

At first I thought maybe they weren't ripe yet :)