Sunday, November 28, 2010

Thanksgiving

Due to various family members’ schedules and circumstances, we celebrated our Thanksgiving yesterday.  At my house.  Quite an interesting proposition, considering I don’t cook and there are presently a lot of remodeling projects going on in my house…

I am happy to report that despite it being very cold and windy, the day was a success.  It was a really wonderful day…it was so nice to have all the family together at my house for a good meal and fun.

There was plenty of room and everyone chipped in with dishes to serve, but the Pièce de Résistance was the Garbage Can Turkey  

If you remember, we tried this over the summer at my sister’s house and it turned out great… but there is a little more pressure to have a good turkey on Thanksgiving…  unsure

The first hurdle was the fact that my fire pit was filled with water from all the rain we’ve had lately, so I had to come up with an alternate location for the event.  I chose the entrance of a three-sided shed I have on my property.  It was very cold and windy with a peppering of snow yesterday, which added to the challenge, but I used a piece of plywood for a windbreak which helped a lot…

The beginning of the cooking...

 

 ... a couple of hours later...

 

 Can you hear the juices sizzling?

 

 Ta da!

It turned out perfect!  There wasn’t much left at all at the end of the night. 

That’s bad for people who like leftover turkey  laughing

No comments: