Monday, October 15, 2007

Local Stuff

Today I just wanted to comment on some local stuff that either I just caught in the news or can't get away from hearing on the news...

The biggest thing everyone is talking about is the issuing of New York State driver's licenses to illegal aliens. All I can say about this is: WTF?! I cannot imagine how anyone can think that this is in any way remotely a good idea. Maybe it's because I live so close to the Canadian border... But then again, from what I've been hearing, I guess almost 75% of the people in New York think this is a bad idea. Who wants to bet that this is going to become a reality? So much for our licenses remaining a valid form of ID anymore...


I read that Tops Markets was finally sold. I was really glad to hear that. I felt really bad for everyone that I know who works there, because no one was really sure what was going to happen. The supermarket chain has been up for sale for quite a while, so it's good that it's finally done. I don't know much about the new owners, but I am pretty sure that they will do a better job with the stores than Giant did. Tops is a good supermarket chain, and in my opinion, Giant did a lot to mess things up. Although Ahold didn't do such a great job either. Tops was at it's best when it was locally owned. Ahhh... those were the days!


I saw the list of all the churches that will be merging and closing in the Western New York area. It is really a sad thing to see, but I really understand why this has to happen. The population here dropped a lot over the years and is continuing to drop. Unless each parish has at least one really a really rich person to donate a lot of money every year, I don't see how all the churches can afford to stay open. Not to mention finding enough priests for them all. Of course the biggest problem is, everyone doesn't want to see their church closed. It's not a happy situation, but I can understand it. I haven't heard anything as to what is going to happen to the empty buildings - I am really curious to see what will be done with them...


And then there is the latest talks going around about Bass Pro and the Peace Bridge. I would love to see Bass Pro come to Buffalo. I'm not crazy about using tax dollars to do it, but the deal they have now sounds a lot better than the one they had. Not to mention the fact the Bass Pro seems to get a lot of money from any city they've put a store in - so it's not like Buffalo is being singled out by any means. Bass Pro is a fun store. I don't think it will bring tourists from across the country, but I do believe that it will help whatever area they would build in. But along with the Peace Bridge and all other things in Western New York: I'll believe it when I see it.


Next week the Lockport Caves will be starting their Haunted Caves tours. I've done the regular Lockport Caves tour, but never the Halloween version. I love scary stuff, and this sounds like a lot of scary fun. Yeah, I think I'm going to go this year - especially seeing as my new job will let me :)

No comments: