Sunday, February 8, 2009

Chilly Chili

So my first crockpot meal was chili.




The whole process was pretty quick and painless. I pretty much just dumped all the ingredients in the pot (using veggie meat crumbles, I didn't have to worry about browning any beef) and turned the thing on. Kind of hard for anyone - even me - to mess up! Seven-and-a-half hours later I turned it off. Cleaning the crock was easy - nothing stuck inside. And the chili turned out not half-bad... Considering I made it and it's not a dessert :)

It is a bit on the salty side, but I think that is because I used the veggie beef instead real beef. Next time, I would just not add the extra salt called for in the recipe.


I had my first bowl with cheese on the top - yum!

I am going to freeze some and see how long it lasts - there was a *lot* of chili there for one person :)

Overall, I will call my first crockpot experience a success. I will not be afraid to try something else. I kind of have my eye on a cheese-potato soup concoction...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you actually leave the house with the crockpot on for the first time? I keep thinking about how you're supposed to unplug things or turn them off when leaving and this just goes against the grain.

I've been thinking about getting a crockpot too:)

Jill said...

Hi Becky -

I don't think that I would be afraid to leave the house with the crockpot on for a short period of time, but not all day while I was at work or something like that. My biggest fear wouldn't be of burning the house down, but of the meal overcooking... What if I had to work late? What would the food taste like if it cooked for ten or eleven hours instead of seven or eight? Can you burn something in a crockpot? I have no idea!

For the chili, I made it Saturday night and let it cook over night. I set my alarm so that I wouldn't oversleep and unplugged the crockpot in the morning :)

I am really enjoying the chili... I think that the $20 I spent is going to be a good investment!