Friday, April 10, 2009

Friday Miscellany

Someone needs to invent a smoke alarm that won't let the battery wear down and start chirping incessantly at four-thirty in the morning.

Crockpot potato soup does not freeze well. I thawed out the bit I saved from my Crockpot Experiment. It wasn't so good. The potatoes turned kind of gritty :(

My two cents on chickens and farming in the city:

I say let the Stevens' buy the lots in the city of Buffalo. An urban farm is a great idea for the area. I think it will be a great inspiration for an area that has a reputation for being a scary part of town. If it doesn't work out, the Stevens' had said that they would give the city the first option to buy the property back. How can the city lose? From what I can tell, there isn't even a definite plan or time frame for development of the land. My prediction? They will deny the Stevens' the chance to farm the property and it will remain vacant for at least five years.

As for city chickens - I think it's also a great idea. Before The Disaster, I had chickens for over a year and I have replacement chicks coming next month (I can't wait!). I think that as long as there are clear rules in place, there is no reason for people not to be able to own a few chickens. They are very entertaining, very easy to care for and they lay eggs. I love animals, but I moved from my last house because the neighbors that moved in next door let their dogs bark outside 24 hours a day. Animal control didn't do anything about it and I couldn't take it anymore. I won't even talk about my other neighbor's cat, who liked to use my garden as it's litter box - ugh. Presently my next door neighbors have chickens as well as many people in my area. Chickens don't bother anyone (I'm talking about hens... roosters are on the noisy side - but I like the crowing). If people can't have chickens, they shouldn't be allowed to have dogs or cats either. Here is an excellent article that examines residential urban chicken keeping.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
is in the top 5 of my all-time favorite movies. I thought this was absolutely brilliant:





Camelot - what a silly place!

No comments: