Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Monster!

My two Red Stars have been faithfully laying an egg a day each for the past few weeks. The Red Stars are the ones that look like this:




I think one of my New Hampshire Reds is getting ready to start laying too - I've been getting a third shell-less egg every once in a while lately, which is always quite interesting. Today however, I came home to find a behemoth of an egg in the nesting box. One regular egg and one egg which is the biggest egg I have ever seen (not counting goose eggs or ostrich eggs - you know what I mean). The first thing that popped into my head when I saw it was: "Wow! That must have hurt coming out!". I tried taking pictures to show the enormousness of the egg, but it is really hard to convey how big this egg is in a photograph...


This is a side-by-side comparison of the ginormous egg next to a normal size egg...



And to give another reference, here is a side-by-side comparison of me holding each of the above eggs...


I weighed the two eggs. The normal size egg weighed 1.8 oz. The gargantuan egg weighed 2.4 oz. That's a big difference when it comes to an egg! I want to crack it open and see if it has a double or triple yolk in it, but I can't bring myself to do it quite yet... Usually I use two eggs when making myself an egg sandwich - I'm betting that Monster Egg will be a sandwich all by itself :)

And to go along with some eggs - how about some fruit...





... and then after squishing your fruit, I'm sure you'll need a napkin :)





I love these things!

No comments: