Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Primaries Conspiracy?

I did my duty today as an American citizen and went out to vote for the Primaries  

It’s kind of an exciting election because we have a shot of getting someone to represent Upstate New York as governor instead of someone catering to New York City and ignoring the rest of the state as usual.

Up here in Niagara county, we are now using the new electronic voting machines.  (IMO there was nothing wrong with the old voting booths, but I guess that’s a moot point now…). 

When I arrived at my voting location I saw a huge line of people through the window.  “Cool!”, I thought, “There’s a high voter turnout – that’s going to make for a good election…”

And then I got inside.  One of the election ladies was announcing that they ran out of Republican ballots.

Are you kidding me???

They said that they sent out for some more and as long as you were in the building before 9:00, you could still vote – even if the ballots didn’t get there until 10:30. 

Right.  Who would want to wait around for hours waiting for the ballots to come?  What’s more – why should anyone *have* to wait?  (That never would have have happened with the old voting booths.   I’m just saying….)

People were *not* happy.  Dozens of phones were open with people calling the Board of Elections and all the news channels.

Some people left, but there was at least fifty people who decided to wait and see what would happen.  When I left (I’m a registered Conservative, so I could vote), there were still more people showing up.

It will be interesting to see if the news is going to say anything about it.  I wonder if anywhere else had the same problem and how much a problem like this will affect the outcome…

 

*Update*

Well, from I’ve read, it looks like mine wasn’t the only polling place that ran out of ballots – but in the grand scheme of things it didn’t really matter… the election ended in a landslide!

No comments: