Saturday, June 13, 2009

Wasted

That's what this weekend is - Wasted.

Next weekend has a lot going on, so this weekend I pretty much had every minute planned to make up for what wouldn't get done next weekend. I had a good plan, until this morning - when I pulled my back.

At this point, I still can't move without being in excruciating agony. I can't sit, I can't stand, I can't walk, I can't lay down. This is very reminiscent of when I initially ruptured a disk a couple of years ago. I hope I didn't do the same thing again. The suckiness of this is unbelievable. I really hope that I am at least mobile by Monday. Words can't express how mad I am that absolutely *nothing* on my very long To Do list is going to get done this weekend. $%#@ !&%** #@!! @%&#

As a distraction, let's talk about my chickens :)

They went outside for the first time this week for about an hour. I took them out to the coop where it was fenced in and I would be able to collect them again. I think that they really liked having so much more room to wander around and explore. When they got back to their brooder, they all fell asleep right away - it was pretty funny. I think tho', the next time they go out I will have a much harder time catching them to go back in.

I gave them their first bug this week, too. They had no idea what it was or what to do with it. That was one of the advantages I had when Mama Chicken was raising her babies - the babies saw what she ate and copied her. My chicks don't have that advantage. I am not about to eat bugs, and even if I did, I don't think the chicks would copy me. I felt bad for the bug, but it's something that needs to be done - that's going to be one of The Girls' jobs: eating bugs in the yard. I hope they learn quickly that bugs are tasty treats for them.

Mama Chicken with her brood -
May they rest in peace


My Girls don't have names. My sister has really good names for all her chickens, but I just can't come up with anything I like. I had Miss Poopy Butt for a little while, but that is no longer relevant, and I suppose not very flattering. My sister said that she has two favorites out of her bunch - Tank and Big Red. I guess with names like those, you can imagine them perfectly :) I can't say I have a favorite - I think I am lucky and all my ladies are amiable and have good personalities. One of the Cochins is a bit spazzy, but she still seems to fit in well. With my last 'flock', Brown Chicken was the outsider. She was such a nice chicken, but she was very afraid of Mamma Chicken. I don't see any signs of anyone being ostracized in this bunch so far. I hope it stays that way.

It is really nice to be able to watch the chicks grow up up close and personal - I didn't have this luxury last time. And they are definitely growing up fast! The green markings are finally starting to go away as the adult feathers are growing in. One of The Ladies looks a bit like a bald eagle right now - it's actually kind of cool looking. Her body has her dark adult feathers, but her head still has the light baby feathers...



I try to handle them regularly so they will be easier to handle once they go outside permanently. They like to sit on my lap when working on my computer (one at a time, of course!) :)

As always, feel free to visit my Chicken Cam by clicking at the link at the top of the page!

Well the distraction worked for a little bit, but my back is killing me again. I hope I'll be able to sleep tonight...

No comments: