Thursday, February 4, 2010

Unpleasant Pheasant

When I bought my chickens, there was a required minimum order of 25 chicks so that they could be shipped safely.  My sister and a friend of my brother-in-law went in on the order with me so that I wouldn’t end up with 25 chickens (thanks guys!) .  The company also gave us a free “Mystery Chicken”, which my sister ended up keeping.

Mystery Chicken, (as he was so aptly named rolleyes) , turned out to be a silver-spangled Hamburg rooster.  Quite frankly, I find him to be a bit scary looking – I don’t care for his coloring and his eyes look like they are too big for his head.  I don’t have a picture of the actual Mystery Chicken, but this is pretty much what he looks like:

Silver Spanged Hamburg

Anyway, it turns out that he is a really nasty chicken.  I’ve heard of that happening, but I’ve never seen it before.  Neither my sister nor I can figure out why… all my chickens are very good natured (Pumpkin has a tendency to be a little bossy sometimes, but she’s not nasty) and the rest of my sister’s chickens are all nice, too.  They were all brought up together and treated the same…  shrug

But MC will literally attack you - He waits until he thinks you aren’t looking and he will charge you.  My sister wants him gone… especially with two little kids at home.  I agree with her.

If I’m not mistaken, the plan is that he going to end up as dinner one night once the weather gets better.  I don’t eat meat, but I’m really curious to find out how much different a freshly slaughtered chicken tastes compared to what you buy in the grocery store.  I’ll be sure to post a review from my sister and brother-in-law if the event actually takes place…

So today, I came across this article of a pheasant that seems to be terrorizing a town in England, which reminded me of MC.   One lady in the story said:

‘Another day it came at me and I whacked it with my handbag. I carry an umbrella round with me now for protection because I don't want to be made a prisoner in my own home.’

It would be funny to get MC and the unpleasant pheasant together and see how much territory they could conquer together  laughing

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, Mystery Chicken!
You naughty chicken you!

One year we had fresh/farm turkeys for Thanksgiving and they had QUITE another taste.
Actually yesterday on "Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares", he took restaurateurs to a butcher to show the difference between fresh lamb (ick) and processed lamb (still ick) and the difference was amazing.

You best watch it MC, you know what happens to tasty, er, bad, chickens.