Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Body Worlds

So we went to see Body Worlds this weekend - I scored a voucher that got us in for $17.50 instead of paying the full price of $22.00 a person. It still wasn't worth it to me.

Everyone is giving rave reviews of the exhibit, but frankly I thought it wasn't all that exciting. I gave it a 5 on a scale of 1 to 10.

I think the Buffalo Museum of Science did a good job of keeping the crowds spread out and I think that everyone at the exhibit was really well-behaved - kids included. The staff there was wonderful... not like the crotchety old biddies at the Albright Knox Art Gallery.

I do believe that the amount of work involved to prepare the bodies for the exhibit is extraordinary, but I guess I didn't find it as fascinating as everyone else. I've been to the Mutter Museum in Philadelphia and I thought that was a hundred times better.

In my opinion, Body Worlds needs to work on a better lighting system so that visitors don't always have a spotlight blinding them wherever they are looking and they need to give a bigger picture on a majority of the displays - a slice of a 300-lb person or a slice of a lung just isn't enough for me... I think they could have made it a lot more interesting with a small piece of background. I also think I would have really enjoyed it more if they had a section explaining how they actually did the plastination - then maybe I would have had more of an appreciation for what I was looking at.

I know most people who've seen the exhibit will probably disagree with me, but I guess different strokes for different folks...

No comments: