Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Happiness Is….

Compost

Here’s $19.40 of the most happiness any garden could ever want 

I finally got to the Amherst Compost Facility this weekend…  the prices went up a bit, but they are still the best deal around.  Not to mention the fact that the compost is gorgeous.  Right now I have about half the trailer emptied – I’m hoping to get the rest of it emptied by Friday so that Saturday I can go pick up a load of mulch.   The rutabagas and beets that I had started early are now in the ground and they look like they took the transplant well.  The peas are coming up nicely too, but it looks like only about half of the lettuce and cabbage I directly planted are coming up.  This weekend I will reseed the spots that didn’t come up and I still have to get watermelon and pumpkins started…

It looks like my fence is working – my plants are all still there  dance2

And my hoop house?   It’s the greatest thing since sliced bread!  I’m sooo glad I decided to make one this year.   Now that I see exactly what it can do, next year I will be able to use it to it’s full potential…

Hoop House

They say that there isn’t any more danger of frost after the last full moon in May, so after the 27th I should be able to take it down and put it away until next year…. but maybe I’ll pull it out in the fall and see if I can extend my growing season a bit.  We’ll see!

No comments: