Sunday, May 16, 2010

Politics

Even tho’ I have some pretty definite political views, I try to stay away from that subject here.  Today I’m going to make an exception. 

I was reading some of the briefing that Obama Deputy Press Secretary Bill Burton gave before the president’s visit to Buffalo.  I can’t even express in words what I was feeling when I read this:

     Q    Some of your fellow Buffalonians are a little disappointed at the brevity of this visit.  Why so brief a visit?

     MR. BURTON:  I share their disappointment.  If it were up to me, we’d stay here for a week and I’d be able to take the President all over town and see all the great places to eat, maybe even go to Niagara Falls.  But as I said before, the President has a lot on his plate.  He’s coming here to have what he hopes is a very robust discussion about the economy.  And we’re spending every second that we can in this great American city.

Are you kidding me?  He would have the president here for a week and show him all the great places to eat?  And maybe see Niagara Falls??????  Helloooooo – McFly!

Buffalo suffers from one of the country's highest poverty rates with nearly 30% of its population living at or below the poverty line. The unemployment rate in Buffalo currently stands at 8.6. 

And you would take the president out to eat??? 

What about taking him to the dozens and dozens of small businesses that are failing or barely able to keep their heads above water?  What about talking with them and finding out why they are having such a hard time?  Do we think high taxes might have a part to play in that?

How about having him visit people who are unemployed and can’t find a job and letting him see how hard/impossible it is for someone who has worked hard their entire lives to get some one-time help while it seems like people who have never worked ever have no problem getting whatever they want forever?

What about visiting a ‘Joe the Plumber’ or two from the Buffalo area and take a look at his income.  And his tax bill.  And take a good look at what a person is left with in their pocket at the end of every year.

And what about asking these people (while he’s there anyway) what they think of his health care bill and what they think about the $2 trillion (that’s trillion with a ‘T’) he’s added to National Debt and now to our tax bill?

I’ve always said that Western New York is a really nice place to live.  The only things that screw everything up are the politicians and the taxes.  We need less government, not more.  We need less taxes, not more.  It seems like Obama is doing everything he can to make our problems worse.  We are having enough problems with our state and local politicians – we don’t need any extra help thankyouverymuch.  Taking him sightseeing and out to eat????  How is that going to impress on the president (or any politician) the problems that need solving?

 furious36   gah   xxpissed 

Tune in tomorrow for our regularly scheduled program 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'll avoid the flying plates/chairs when I say...
And of course they spruce up the areas where he's going to be. If you're going to go to the generally-busted side of town, take the busted streets.
Same with the falls, you don't think they'd take him the boarded-up-homes-and-blight-way, doya?

White House to Main Street my left cheek.

(I did like that he went to Duff's though...)

Jill said...

I've noticed that at places where I've worked too - they always give the stores plenty of notice that the boss is coming so that everything can get cleaned up. What's the point of the boss coming if he doesn't see things like they really are? If I were the boss, I don't think I'd ever let anyone know when I was coming by!