Friday, October 12, 2007

Explosion

I guess I'll jump on the bandwagon with what everyone in this area has been talking about all day: The first anniversary of the October Surprise. It was definitely an event to remember. Even tho' I was in an area that affected, I didn't have it as hard as a lot of other people did. I was only without power for five days and it really didn't bother me too much. It was kind of like camping. I like to camp. And it's not like it was sub-zero temperatures outside or anything. I don't have many big trees near my house, so I didn't have to worry about my house being crushed like what had happened to so many other people.

The rest of my family in the area was coping pretty well, so my only stress was my basement flooding. I have a very wet basement normally... I have two active sump pumps down there. As the snow started to melt, my basement started to fill up as the pumps weren't working without any electricity. And even then, I was only really worried about my furnace. I was lucky in the timing of when I got my power back - the water had reached about a half-inch from the motor of my furnace right before I started to pump the water out. When I got home from work that day and saw the power was on, I started up my submersible pump right away - I couldn't use the regular sump pumps as they were both under water :) The furnace was fine, and I don't really keep anything in the basement of value, so no damage or losses for me. I wish everyone else in the area had been so lucky. I pulled out my old high school math skills after-the-fact, and figured out that I had enough water in my basement to fill a swimming pool seven feet wide by twelve feet long seven-and-a-half feet deep. Yikes - That's a lot of water!

I had a lot of trees on my property damaged, and I still haven't finished cleaning it all up yet. Once my back is better, it will get done. But until then, it can wait... I do have my own generator now, so next time - if there is a next time - I shouldn't have any stress at all.


Back to the present, I've experienced a mini disaster today. Well, maybe not a disaster, but I did have an explosion today. Well - maybe not an explosion, but a can of pineapples I had in my cupboard broke open by itself. I've never seen anything like that ever happen before. The seal on the can actually broke open and the juice inside leaked out. It made a bit of a mess, but it could have been worse.

No comments: